THIS WORKSHOP IS DESIGNED FOR PRACTITIONERS WITH SCOLIOSIS, AS WELL AS TEACHERS INTERESTED IN HELPING STUDENTS WITH SCOLIOSIS.
Due to structural imbalance, scoliosis often brings with it muscle tension, fatigue, numbness, nervous system strain, back pain, and depression. Awareness of one's own motion, weight, and position in space (proprioception) is also compromised with scoliosis, because information from the joints and muscles is unbalanced, and the head is not quite centered over the body.
In this workshop, we'll discuss:
- the physiological and emotional difficulties that result from scoliosis
- techniques for creating greater symmetry and proprioception when practising with scoliosis
- how to modify common postures to better serve the body in the case of scoliosis
- postures and modifications that can ease the daily strain of scoliosis
- how, as a teacher, to recognize scoliosis in your students
While yoga cannot cure scoliosis, it can help slow or stop its progression, especially in the case of functional scoliosis. A regular yoga practice with intelligent modifications can also significantly alleviate the pain and fatigue of scoliosis. A practitioner with scoliosis must work with intelligence over ambition. Working intelligently with your total conditions is the healthy application of the yoga practice in any situation.
Please note, this workshop does not address fused spines.
FEE: $40 adv / $45 day of